Seiler Instruments has been actively involved with promoting the profession of surveying in Wisconsin. Since 2006, they have partnered with the Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors Foundation to offer scholarship to students.
Seiler Instrument and the Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors (WSLS) Foundation announce $1,000 Chapter scholarships for qualifying students enrolled in and attending a college offering a degree in surveying or related field. Up to nine scholarships will be awarded, one per WSLS Chapter, and is open to both First and Second year students. The award will be split evenly between Seiler Instrument and the WSLS Foundation and presented in the form of one (1) check from the Foundation in the amount of $1,000.
The purpose of the scholarship is to promote student participation in the local WSLS Chapters, expose students to potential employers, expose employers to potential staff, further the student’s education by introducing them to survey related issues and remedies, and
support schools promoting land surveying careers.
The scholarship will be presented at the first regular meeting of applicant's home Chapter immediately following the WSLS Annual Institute.
Note: Scholarship applications must be postmarked by December 1st, 2018 in order to be considered.
The respective WSLS Chapter and/or the Education Committee will select the Scholarship Recipient on behalf of Seiler Instrument and the WSLS Foundation based on academics, financial need, references, content of essay, and involvement in professional and student organizations. The Education Committee will approve all final selections.
To be eligible for one of the nine (9) chapter scholarships a student must be:
- A Wisconsin resident.
- A Student member of the WSLS Chapter presenting the scholarship.
- Enrolled in one of the following Schools for surveying or related science:
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
- Madison Area Technical College
- Milwaukee Area Technical College
- Fox Valley Technical College
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville
- Mid-State Technical College
- An out-of-state school offering a Surveying degree.
In addition a student must:
- Complete a WSLS Foundation Scholarship Application Form.
- Attend at least one (1) home chapter meeting (excluding the presentation meeting).
- Request letters of recommendation from an active member of the home WSLS Chapter, and from a program Instructor.
- Have completed or enrolled in at least one land surveying class in the program at the college they are attending.
- Provide a copy of their current transcript (official or unofficial).
Although not required for application or award, the applicant should be a student member of the Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors.
A student may not receive this scholarship more than once time in a calendar year.
Unless other arrangements have been made:
Seiler Instrument and the WSLS Foundation, Scholarships will be presented at each awarding Chapter’s first regular meeting immediately following the WSLS Annual Institute.
A Representative of Seiler Instrument and/or a Representative of the WSLS Foundation Board will present the scholarship.
The scholarship recipient must be present.
All application material must be submitted digitally using the Submission Form described in step (5).
To apply for a scholarship, follow these steps:
(1) Download the Scholarship Application form. This is a Word document on which you will enter your information. Save the form on your computer using the naming convention: yourname-application
(2) As instructed on the Scholarship Application form, compose a narrative describing your Educational Objectives and Professional Career Goals. Name the file: yourname-goals
(4) Obtain a digital version of an official transcript from your current school showing you have completed the first year, or at least 24 credits, including at least one class in land surveying. A transcript available only in printed form must be scanned. Be sure to request the transcript early to ensure it arrives before the application deadline. Name the transcript file: yourname-transcript
(5) Application material must be submitted using the Submission Form at this link. You will attached files from steps (1), (2), and (4), and provide contact information for your Letter of Recommendation authors in step (3).
All application materials must be received by 1 Dec 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered for a scholarship.
Updated 17 Sept 18