ANNUAL COMMITTEE REPORT 2022
Submitted By Joseph K Tew P.L.S. Chair
Members: Jeanette Harley, Robert O’Neill, Francis Thousand, Jeff Austin, Eric Hague, Jerry Mahun,
Introduction and annual report information
The communications committee chair would like to recognize and thank the members of the committee
for their time and efforts this year with the work on the website update .
Existing budget: $14,000 this year (decreased to $6,500 for 2022 budget year)
Wild apricot hosting website $1,728
Joy of membership, development vendor $2,625
Google Drive $259.20
Formsite Forms $399.95
Anticipated 2022 expenses
Wild apricot hosting website $2,052
Joy of membership, development vendor $1,500
Google Drive $259.20
Formsite Forms $399.95
Wild apricot hosting website Includes up to 2,000 contacts - currently 1,400 contacts
Domain name hosting with ENOM Inc hosts the WSLS.org domain
Joy of membership is the vendor and includes retainer and hours for technical support and projects
Cloudflaire provides security and protection for the domain address
When using credit transactions through the site a 2.9% is added to transactions and will be noted in the treasurer's report
Membership and usage
Membership to the WSLS is now managed through the website, including application, payment. preferences, and invoicing and tracking.
Review of the website user breakdown (only includes those that registered on the website) is as follows
for the site current as of Jan 2022:
Finances and store information
The website was utilized this year to collect membership fees, track membership renewals, new members, events and store orders. The following contains the breakdowns reports:
Total invoicing and payments revenue (Jan 1 2021 - Dec 31 2021)
Many items have been added to the online store. There were two items of note that were added: the Bernsten monuments and some local chapter memberships. You can request and have your local membership chapter added to the store online and membership can then be paid for with credit or invoiced. Currently Madison, Northern Lakes, SOSEWLS, Central, and Northeast Chapters have their dues available to pay online.
Employment and classified ads
Anyone may contact the website admins to post the employment and classified ads with no charge. They are typically up within a few days.
● The website was utilized this year posted 46 ads for employment between June and December
● There were 4 ads for equipment posted this year
The northeastern chapter held an event through the website that was hosted and let users pay through the website store for the event. Contact a website admin or Frank Thousand to request an event be added to the website.
Existing committee items
1. Website, store, and users are managed by WSLS admins, Joe Tew, Jeff Austin, Frank Thousand.
Content updates are provided by membership and posted directly by article managers that are committee chairs and directors or added by admins by request.
2. The committee will meet this year to review the website and and prepare a memo to the board reviewing the website initiative and what was learned and incorporated into the development of the site
3. Continuing moderation of users permission, forums, and content will be completed on a weekly and monthly basis by the website admins and partial admins for chapters and committees.
4. The Society’s Social Media platforms are moderated by Joe Tew for Facebook and LinkedIn. Please consider sharing more media as individuals to these platforms.
1. The Communications Committee shall review the needs of the digital future along with guidance from the Strategic Planning Committee on new directions or requirements for
modifications to its charges.
2. The Communications Committee will review with the Outreach Committee for posting content and working on public engagement and new surveyor recruitment with digital footprints.
3. The Communications Committee will renew its focus on social media platforms in context with the strategic plan and increasing membership and interest in survey.
Please consider becoming an active participant on the Communication Committee. You will help create the digital footprints for future surveyors to follow.
My digital door is always open - please email me for any questions, comments, requests or feedback.
Respectfully Submitted on January 17, 2022
Joseph K. Tew
334 Lemira Ave
Waukesha WI 53188
Joseph Tew PLS